Sunday, May 3, 2020

Gratitude for all things

I listened to a 3 day seminar about improving my life.  One of the videos shared was one about Gratitude...for those that enjoy meditation I think it is beautifully done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpkEvBtyL7M&t=

One of the amazing things I learned years ago when at church they gave us the challenge to keep a gratitude journal.  I did for a time.  This is what I learned.  There is a constant flow of blessings.  When I receive all things with gratitude, I find the gifts hidden in the challenges.  One quick example was the day I was laid off from being a computer tech.  My children were worried that I would be terribly upset.  I wasn't.  I felt such gratitude from being released from a miserable job that I felt bond to continue because the people that originally hired me gave me a chance.  Over the years at the job, my position was restructured.  I went from the best job ever to a hostile boss that wanted to find a reason to fire me.  The stress was tremendous.  It was also during the time I was in counseling.  The blessing there, I needed to learn some skills like boundaries and standing up for myself.  My therapist asked me if I liked this negative boss.  Nope.  So the poor boss became my guinea pig to work on developing these skills I needed to learn.  Much better to try things out on this unpleasant boss rather than someone I wanted to still like me after the learning process.  Learning can be messy.  I discovered inadvertently that every unpleasant situation is laced with opportunities and blessings would flow from them. 

Gratitude is an emotion that is a helper emotion.  Helps me through sad times and tough times.  Helps me when I am feeling grief or unappreciated.  Talking to one of my therapist he challenged me to find the blessings it what happened to me in my childhood.  Tough one to think about.  I do not feel gratitude that my mother hated me.  I do feel gratitude that I was able to see her emotion was not about me.  I do not feel gratitude for the cruelty of my neighbor.  I am searching for ways to use what I learned to bless others.  I feel grateful to internet and blogs to be able to share hard learned lessons that others may see their is hope in their situation.  Sometimes seeing the blessings and feeling the gratitude is a challenge but I am blessed when I can do it. 

Enjoy your day. 

No comments: