Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Weaknesses become strengths

I never understood this when I read it in scriptures.  I just figured weaknesses caused problems.  I could not wrap my mind around how they could become a strength. 

In 7th grade, my teacher gave me a mercy grade of a D, instead of the F I earned.  She also gave me a bad spellers dictionary.  The dictionary put psychology in the S section.  Fast forward a bunch of years when I went back to college in my late 30's.  The first class I took was English 102, research processes.  I figured if I couldn't pass that required class there was no use wasting my time with the rest.  During those years computers progressed to MS Word with spell check.  That magical mystical thing that put squiggles under misspelled words.  The cool thing about computers it corrected me over and over again without pointing out how many times it corrected me.  I was learning to spell thanks to my computer.  I was very proud the first time I wrote an essay with no squiggles to correct.  I also learned to read voraciously.  I read not a few books but hundreds and thousands of books.  Put these two things together, I learned to take my awful spelling and poor grammar to become an editor for my sister.  I expanded this to helping students at school to editor their papers.  One student heard about my editing and asked me to help with his paper and he wasn't in any of my classes I helped in.  My miserable failing grade is now a strength. 

I am editing one of my sister's short stories.  These are my favorites; they share about love and old fashion courting and surviving and finding love and all read in a few hours.  I sometimes chuckle when she talks to me about a character in her books not behaving well and what could be done to help them find God and Love.  I wonder if people over hearing us think we are talking about a real place to visit. It is such a joy for me to share my weakness that is now a strength.  I feel blessed and can bless others.  I now understand it didn't happen because it suddenly magically changed.  I set goals to improve and a persevered and computers corrected my spelling over and over without complaint.  I understand the differences between there, their, and they're.  I look up things I am still not sure about.  Surprised to realize how really weird the English language is and how amazing it is to find a word that describes an idea.  Thanks Laurel Hawkes for including me in your adventurers. 

http://laurelhawkes.blogspot.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hawkes/e/B00J625XDM

Enjoy.


No comments: