Monday, August 27, 2018

It could always be worse

There is an actual book by this title.  However, this time it is my life.  I was concerned about being in a mostly male classroom, I was moved out and put into a class with a teacher that uses shaming and intimidation.  I would rather be with the mostly guys situation.  I believe both shaming and intimidation are counterproductive in a classroom environment and she is setting me up to be the bad guy.   I'm proud of myself for checking in with a teacher I trust and following her suggestions.  I am going to have plenty of opportunity to recognize my need for boundaries and setting out what my role in the classroom needs to be.  I need to build trust with the students and that cannot be achieved by intimidating them.  I don't know the person well so I am working from my perspective with little understanding on her point of view.  Yup, I'm feeling like I am out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Ugh.


No comments: