Buried in my drafts folder I found this link to Judy's blog. Her post is a response to this link:
I needed this today. I counted.....today I was verbally abused by a student that used 12 of the 15 different types of verbal abuse. I got frustrated and I could hear it in the intensity of my voice. However, I didn't loose my cool. I kept things even. I did call security and had the student removed from the classroom. I am reviewing the situation as to what might happen in the next few days. My job is to stay as far away as I can possible get. Fortunately, the student is not in a room that I work on a regular basis. I don't need to tolerate abuse from anyone. Thanks to Judy as I recounted the incidents and let me talk through all that happened. I was verbally abused today. I don't like it. I don't need to tolerate it. Hmmm. I'm glad I dropped Judy's link in my box about 2 years ago. Very helpful today.
Things I can do tomorrow to avoid this student.
1. Arrive in the room after she leaves.
2. Stay away from the corridor where she walks to another class.
If I do encounter the student,
1. Observe her behavior
2. Say hello only if she speaks first.
3. Remind myself that it is not my in my job description to tolerate verbal abuse.
4. Walk away.
1. Make sure Security phone number is easy access on my phone.
Plan ahead; follow my plan.
Do not accept spider's invitation.