Monday, April 2, 2018

Handling frustration

A few years ago, a day like today would leave me totally stressed out and looking for another job declaring I'm useless.  My day did not start out well.  The email sent out by my supervisor was a detailed explanation of what I was supposed to do today.  I didn't get it.  Really.  I forgot that the type of message she sent the information is removed at the desktop.  In order for me to see the complete message I have to log on to the district email. Pickles.  Then I misunderstood an email so I really was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong assignment.  Heavy sigh.  I was 2/3 way through the day before I started sorting out my mess.  Fortunately, now I know what needs to be done and I can correct the other mistakes of the day.  Not thrilled with the situation but I am able to cope and recognize that I made a mistake.  No need for a melt down.  I can make a mistake and fix it later most of the time.  Occasionally life throws a situation with no edit undo.  However, today's snafus are all fixable.  Tomorrow I will correct my mistakes and hopefully have a better day.

I coped.

Yup, I need to recognize and congratulate myself for coping through a series of mistakes that did not put me at my best.  I made it through the day.  I will go back tomorrow ready to straighten things out.  What has changed?  I recognized I made a mistake.  I also recognized it wasn't the end of the world.  I didn't come home and collapse from the stress.  I felt frustrated but not angry.  OOOOOoooooo Progress.  I remember when I started counseling, early on I made a slight mistake.  I was trembling and on the verge of tears....a few years later, I messed up what time I was supposed to be at a counseling session, I was sobbing because I made a mistake.  Yes, living my life terrified of the slightest mistake is very wearing.  I worked hard at learning to accept that I can make mistakes.  I also take responsibility for those mistakes.  I fix the ones I can and ask for help on the ones I can't.  Over all, I had a fairly good day when I balance out sewing this afternoon and making delicious brownies tonight.

A bad moment does not make a bad day.
A bad day does not make a bad life.

Seeing past my mistakes to solutions is fairly new for me.  I like it.

Pictures taken about 10 minutes apart.  A lot can change in 10 minutes.  



 

No comments: