Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Alone

My husband became interested in watching a TV series called Alone.  About 15 people were placed alone along the Vancouver Island northern coast.  Their job was to survive alone.  The one that lasted longest would get $100,000.  I watched some of the last episodes with him.  I was interested in how each person was choosing to spend their time.  The man who had purpose of helping his kids with college lasted the longest.  Determination and focus on that purpose helped him hold out for almost 2 months.  I realize that one of the key pieces of thriving is having a purpose beyond simple survival.  Maslow's pyramid (http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html) of needs places purpose near the top one of the last things to be actualized.  He didn't think about the fact that some people will suffer great discomfort for a higher purpose.  I joke that for extreme survival I stood that pyramid on its head. 

No comments: