Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hulk

A few weeks ago someone mentioned that the Hulk was a multiple personality (well, dual personality since there are only two.)  Tonight DH took me to see the Avengers.  http://marvel.com/avengers_movie/  I enjoy a great action flick and this was excellent.  Conflict and aliens are always a good combination for a shoot-em-up, blow-em-up movie. Since I recently read an article about 'The Hulk' being a multiple personality, I paid special attention to how Hollywood handled the character.  Sure enough they played up the two personalities.  Dr. Banner, the calm side, even called the Hulk the 'other guy.'  Of course, there were glaring differences, Hulk turns green and big when he switches personalities.  Several aspects were fairly accurate to my experience.  The lack of shared memory between the two.  I learned in counseling that one of the deciding symptoms of DID is black outs or loss of time.  If time is continuance either you are compartmentalized to a high degree or integrated.  It is one of the deciding factors of the diagnosis.  Another thing is my alters were not stronger but some were just as angry.  I don't think it is a spoiler so I will share one line.  When Dr. Banner was asked if he could become the big guy he says, "The secret is that I am always angry."  If I could give a high five to a character in a movie this would be the time to do that.  I joke that if it weren't for depression I would be in anger management.  In my book, I share one of KavinCoach's assignments for me to throw clay pigeons at the back fence.  He assigned one box.  I enjoyed smashing the first box of 90 so much, I went out and bought a second box.  I kept a box on hand for a long time.  Unfortunately, the back fence was painted and the clay pigeons do make a bit of mess.  I found another location where people go shooting that I may take another box and let those pigeons fly. 


1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Ruth,

I didn't see the avengers, but I used to watch the hulk as a kid and loved the series. Now that I'm older, I don't like action hero movies, but as a kid I probably would have loved the avengers.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Judy