Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Start your Engines

3 steps how to live with anger.

1. Observe it.
2. Express it.
3. Own it.


http://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/05/29/3-steps-for-riding-the-waves-of-anger/
I would like to add one more aspect. Sometimes you can use anger to get yourself out of self neglect rut. I recommend to not just endure anger, use it to fire up your engine to making the world a better place.
Think about a combustion engine.  The gas is injected into the cylinder, a spark causes an explosion, which pushes the piston down turning the shaft which turns the wheel.  The entire engine would be useless with out the driving force of the explosion.  However, the explosion would be useless without the control and planning of the engine.  I believe that extinguishing all anger is a great disservice that leaves most people without the motivation they need to change.  Anger erupting uncontrolled damages relationships, sometimes beyond repair.  Anger used to fuel determination add constructive planning and controlled actions, provides the power to make changes happen.

I suggest adding a fourth to the trio.

1. Observe it.
2. Express it.
3. Own it.
4. Creatively and constructively use it.



6 comments:

Judith said...

Awesome post.

Kara said...

Yep, I thoroughly agree.

mulderfan said...

I always suppressed anger because I didn't want to be like my raging NF. Now I see it a sort of necessary stage in my development.

I like the analogy. It might get the engine running but I'm still the one behind the wheel deciding where I go with it.

Ruth said...

Thanks vicariousrising and Kara

That is a great addition to the analogy. I was also raised in a home with rage tearing the house apart. This really hit a chord with me. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I'm in a position that I am having to FIND the anger, in order to move obstacles. It's showing a little more each day, as I realize that it's ok to become angry over the injustices that had been in my life over the last year. Even in it's stunted self, that anger is what is fueling each step I'm making now. I love the analogy of the combustion engine :)

(I was introduced to you, through Judy :D) Very nice to meet you.

Ruth said...

Glad to have you come over to visit.