Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Whiplash

Set me on a course and I can keep going for quite sometime; however, telling me we are going to do one thing and then doing the opposite has a whiplash affect for me.  Once is not fun.  Twice is annoying.  Repeatedly through the day and I am freaking out internally.  What I learned last week is that I can be totally freaked out and nobody knows unless I tell them.  Integrated I still hide my emotions.  I have felt so overexposed like the whole world can see what an emotional mess I am.  It just isn't true.  Several times I felt like the little cat that I either had to "Bitch or Blow up."  Fortunately, a short burst could release enough to keep me looking calm most of the time.  I also learned that I am not the only one that objected to this.  I felt relieved when others shouted, "No," to yet another change in plans.

Thinking it over, I recognize the overall desire of doing as much as possible with the opportunity.  I appreciate the creative thinking...I just really need a bit more planning and breathing space of doing nothing.  I think this will pour over into my posts on introverts and extroverts.  I am doing a bit of research and learning that extroverts need more outside stimulation to have the same reaction as an introvert.  Leaning about this explains why I need to plan things out in advance and allow for down time.  I am willing to modify a plan but abrupt changes really wreck havoc on so many levels.  No time to process emotional all that is happening quickly puts me into overload.  I think this is where functioning as a multiple came in very handy.  As a multiple, an abrupt change in plans usually triggered a switch to the one that could handle the situation.  I also couldn't make plans because of the disruptions in time I didn't know if next week was a month or two days later.  The time continuum simply didn't exist for me.  Now I recognize that I really had to work hard for that trip to be able to adjust to all the changes in a short period of time.  My sister describes this in authors as plotters and pansters.  Plotters lay out the plot carefully in advance then writes to these instructions.  A panster flies by the seat of their pants and swoops and swirls with the wind.  I think I am mostly a plotter but can wing it in a tight spot.  I am going to be thinking about this part for a while because I think it has some answers for me about how I function on a day to day basis.  Challenges can reveal a lot about yourself.

http://www.garnetchaney.com/thought_for_the_day_from_a_woman_cat.shtml
 Just a quick thought.  :)

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

Buddhists believe that challenges are required in order for growth to take place. Some challenges seem to come at us out of nowhere, others we choose to create for ourselves.

For people like me, it's hard to accept that there are positives to be found in things I can't control. I'm working on it!

Sounds like you're on your way to finding some answers that work for you, Ruth.

Hugs P/M

Laurel Hawkes said...

Mary and I complain about this to each other all the time. We both hate when plans are abruptly changed, because we need time to adjust our mind set.

Blessedly, at the writers' conference, my room was as close to the conference center as you could get, and I kept going to my room, throughout the day, simply to "recenter" before diving back in.