Monday, July 15, 2013

Books and more books

I love books...not just a little bit.  I saw a facebook post where people were posting their book shelves.  I realized I had more book cases than other people had book shelves.  I liked the page "No, I do NOT have too many books."  I moved my books and moved my books until my husband said he wouldn't move them any more.  So I packed them up into smaller boxes and moved them myself.  KavinCoach would assign me a book to read for homework and usually I would buy it.  I wanted to write in the book, kind of a conversation with the author.  I learned about so many things from books.  Webpages are nice for finding bits of information but if I am really delving into a subject I want a book.  I've read books on sewing, computers, raising kids, nursing, history, just about any subject that I thought of.  When I found out I was a multiple I read 10 books starting in the 1960's up through 2000's.  Kind of a history of the morphing from it is just hysteria to one that denied it existed (through that one across the room -- by the way do not treat your books that way...it was a special cirumstance) and finally several books by other multiples.  I read everything I could find on integration which was 4 books.  Today I sat with tears running down my face as I read Make a Promise -- Pass it On.  It is copy righted so I can't repost it completely but I can share the link:

http://gracebeyondgrace.com/2013/07/15/make-a-promise-pass-it-on-2/

A friendship built around books seems like a beautiful friendship.  I learned many things from a book.  There are only 2 things I found couldn't come from a book how to cook and how to live.  I had lots of suggestions for both but the actual doing is the only thing that gets me where I need to be.  I agree with Lynnette Bukowski to send a lasting legacy share a book.  If you want to learn something new read a book.  If you really want to understand something write a book. 

2 comments:

TR said...

Hi Ruth,

How did you start liking reading?

I love reading too!

xxoo TR

Ruth said...

I hated reading as a kid. I fell in love reading the Hobbit then Lord of the Rings. I learned how powerful reading was after I married and I used it to learn many, many things. Now I see a good book and I just want to take it home. :)