Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Mask

I came across this poem in the book I am reading, Nonviolent Communications - A Language for Life by Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D.

The Mask

Always a mask
Held in the slim hand whitely
Always she had a mask before her face--

Truly the wrist
Holding it lightly
Fitted the task;
Sometimes however
Was there a shiver,
Fingertip quiver,
Ever so slightly--
Holding the mask?

For years and years and years I wondered
But dared not ask
And then--
I blundered,
Looked behind the mask,
To find
Nothing--
She had no face.

She had become
Merely a hand
Holding a mask
With grace.


--Author unknown


I belive that the largest problem with 'fake it until you make it' is the human ability to disappear and only the mask remains.  I do believe in facing life with courage.  I do believe in feel the fear and do it any way.  I do believe that every one of us has the opportunity to seize the day and choose to change.



2 comments:

Ellen said...

Thanks for posting on this book Ruth. I feel I need to read something on this subject - put a hold on it at the library. Lovely mask.

Anonymous said...

Awesome mask. --quartz