Monday, July 1, 2013

What not to say

Battle buddy's posted a list of things not to say to a soldier:

















I would like to expand this list to what not to say to a child abuse survivor:

1) Everyone has problems with their parents, you are no different.
2) Show me your scars? 
3) It's all in your mind....
4) Why don't you just let it go?
5) Get over it!
6) Your just making it up so you don't have to have a relationship. 
7) Your fine! There's nothing wrong with you.
8) You need "Psychiatric" drugs
9) It can't been THAT bad growing up.  YOU survived.
10) You think you're in pain?  Well, how do you think I feel? 

Abuse survivor like soldiers have seen hell already.  Sometimes hell leaves no scars to show but they are felt every day.  Also don't tell me that because I am an abuse survivor that I will hurt others.  I was hurt enough.  I know what it feels like.  I feel devastated when I say something in haste that they view as hurtful.  There is a popular quote that says "Hurt people, hurt people." It doesn't always apply.  I am not a monster that needs to be shunned or avoided because I suffer from depression, anxiety, and other negative feelings. In the New Age - Feel Good Society, I feel a bit like a leper sometimes.


1 comment: