Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tweet

I don't follow Twitter very often.  I happened to open one today for no particular reason but it struck me as just the thing I needed to be reminded.

Dr. Michele Borba
https://twitter.com/micheleborba/status/613479187676966913?t=1&cn=cmVjb3NfbmV0d29ya19kaWdlc3RfdHJpZ2dlcmVk&sig=a36a076a7abd2f1928bbfe60f8b516ca060ba686&al=1&refsrc=email&iid=af7871132b5c4cfbbdd8de9c4f951dfa&autoactions=1435103761&uid=621241935&nid=244+44

Shows Piglet from Winnie the Pooh sharing this thought:
"The things that make me different are the things that make Me."

On Facebook someone posed the question, "How does your mental illness make you better?" 

Lots of comments about more sensitive to beauty, more compassionate of others, more understanding, and many other things. 

I knew at age 15 that I functioned differently than most people I knew.  When I was over 40, I finally understood how different.  The diagnosis of PTSD gave me a label but didn't change who I was or how I functioned.  The internet led me to a world of people that are different just like me.  How cool is that?  Changing how I functioned did not make me less me.  Learning new skills and new ways to approach life does not lessen my me-ness.  Regaining memories that I shut away still leaves me.  My perception of me was shook to my core.  But through all the years of counseling, gaining new skills, new perspectives and new ways of functioning I am still me.  My mental illness is part of me but doesn't define me.  My childhood trauma is part of my past but also does not define me.  My memories come and go but I am still Me.  In spite of all that happened in my life, I am me. 

Nice to have a reminder from time to time. 


No comments: