Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Looking back...

Tonight I spent my time talking to KavinCoach by looking back.  Interesting thing about looking back is some times I need to, so I can move forward.  I reviewed a subject I have discussed many times but this time I actually organized my thoughts in a time line that covered over 40 years.  A thread ran through those years that warped and twisted my thinking.  I now have a new perspective on a lingering relationship that probably will not terminate any time soon.  I didn't think that just saying how I am influenced could alter how I view myself or past events.  KavinCoach asked me at the end if I felt better.  I didn't know.  But after thinking about this evening.  I think I can say yes.  I do.  Nothing was solved.  No plan of action made.  For me, it seems that in stating what I remember, I am accepting events that I chose to bury.  In the process of burying my feelings they didn't allow me to move forward. Looking back sometimes allows you to move forward.  

3 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Looking back sometimes allows you to see how far you've come.

Ruth said...

That is true.

Ruth said...

KavinCoach suggested that in this situation:
"Sometimes we've kept things locked away for so long, that when we pull them out and examine them, we discover that they weren't as powerful as we had believed they were."
I hadn't thought of this aspect of looking at some things in my past.