Sunday, April 17, 2011

Flipping the Pyramid

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is taught in every first semester psychology class.  The basic premise is that human needs are met in a particular order.  First the physical needs such as enough food, shelter, sleep, and basic bodily care must be met.  After this humans need to feel a sense of safety.  Upon this is built feelings of loving and belonging.  From this foundation emerges self-esteem. The next step is self-actualization evidenced in creativity, morality, spontaneity, problem solving, acceptance and other high level psychological skills and finally Self-transcendence humans develop a relationship with God.  Early on in counseling KavinCoach discovered that my childhood did not meet even the most basic needs.  I didn't remember much about my childhood so he had me read books about other abuse cases.  He didn't find one book that my only reaction was, "Yea, bad things happen.  What do you want me to learn from it?"  Nothing phased me as being impossible as to how adults treat children.  After many discussions KavinCoach explained that I had no emotional foundation, no self-esteem, no sense of safety, or feeling that my basic needs should be met.  Yet when he asked my about God, I was absolutely firm in my belief that God is our Heavenly Father and sent his Son Jesus Christ to redeem everyone.  I had turned Maslow's hierarchy of needs on its point.  I talked with KavinCoach often about my testimony that Christ was my savior.  NewCounselor has me reading a book that also breaks down how humans mature with the last part being developing a connection with God.  How is it that I was missing everything else in this hierarchy except an unshakable belief in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ?  I still remember looking at KavinCoach and sharing my belief in Christ.  The reason Christ suffered so much in Gethsemane was not because of any wrong doing on His part but because He would know where to find me.  He knows what kind of Hell I have been in.  I had but a mustard seed of faith and He has shown me time and time again His love and desire for me to find lasting peace.  I know not everyone feels the way I do.  Not everyone believes as I do.  For me, before all else, I know in my heart that Jesus is the Christ and redeemer of the world.  He sent KavinCoach and NewCounselor into my life to fill in the missing pieces.  For those celebrating this Easter week, may you enjoy the peace the Savior promised in our lives.  For those not celebrating Easter week, may you enjoy peace in your life, too.   



1 comment:

mulderfan said...

So happy you have your faith to guide you, Ruth!