Thursday, April 21, 2011

Now I get it

Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player.


One of the interesting things that I am reading now is that things KavinCoach told me before are finally making sense.  I am continuing reading the book about boundaries and learning the psychologist’s terminology for how people cope with severe stress.  One of the things discussed is “hiding the True self.”  After I learned I functioned as a multiple personality I was trying to understand how I functioned with these different parts.  (Imagine your arms and legs each having a mind of their own.  Each wanting to go their own direction.)  KavinCoach asked me. “Which one is the ‘real’ Ruth?”   

Every part of me was furious at him for implying that some of the alters were not real.  I think it was the first time that all of us acknowledged and resisted the same information.  In my way of thinking, we were all real and I needed all the parts to survive.  The interesting thing about integrating is now I understand what the book is referring to as the “false self.”  It is not an alter, a separate personality.  It seems to me these behaviors, ideas, and feelings we place in front of our ‘real self’ to protect from marauding predators, usually human in form and most of it emotionally abusive behavior.  This front image or false self is not who you really are, but more of a wall or defense system that has little or nothing to do with how a person actually feels.  A simple example is when we are asked for our opinion, rather than say how we really feel, we tell the person what they want to hear or a false front answer that might be more acceptable to the person.  Strictly speaking, the false self is the lies we tell to others and our self to protect us from an uncomfortable reality.  The harsher our environment that we live in, the more complex and thick our defenses we create to protect our real self.  Part of the counseling process is to reveal and persuade our ‘real self’ to come out of hiding.  We are not who we pretend to be.  I now understand a lot of things that made no sense before.  

Many years ago I read a book about self-defeating behaviors.  I read it and it sounded great but when I attempted to put the principles in to practice something didn’t work.  I suspect now that I am integrated that my united self can better understand and put into practice the ideas taught.   For me before integration, switching overrode all other defense mechanism and functioned similar to the doctor hitting your reflex point underneath your knee.  The knee moved without conscious thought.  It just happened.  I am feeling like a whole new world is opening up and I don’t know the ground rules.  Then I remind myself that nobody did at first.  I am a late bloomer.  This is going to be fun.  :)

7 comments:

mulderfan said...

Great attitude, Ruth!

I hid behind the compliant daughter, always trying to do or say the right thing. In truth, I was boiling with resentment inside. I now understand that the resentment was really toward myself for being everyone's doormat.

We're all on a journey so we might as well enjoy the ride and have a few laughs along the way.

(((Hugs)))

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan. We keep moving forward and that is a beautiful thing.

insi said...

Your journey is so fascinating, Ruth. I've been watching that show "United States of Tara," I'd love to hear your thoughts on it having been there. You impress the hell out of me. Better to bloom, baby, bloom that beautiful self. Now is the time :)

All my love and support,
upsi

Ruth said...

I haven't seen "United States of Tara;" I don't have Showtime. I have watched Sybil. One of the draw backs of movies/TV shows is they have to do something visual to clue you in as to what is happening on the inside. Watching Sybil helped me recognize how I functioned. It was all the same except it was all on the inside without any visual ques. My behavior, handwriting, attitude, all changed but I had no interaction between my selves. Often the only connection between personalities is writing to yourself as if you were writing to someone else. I would be interested in seeing the show since I have followed a number of shows that highlight DID. Unfortunately some only spread incomplete or misinformation. Hollywood isn't perfect but it has raised awareness. I just wish they wouldn't capitalize on the fear. Makes my life harder when people find out and suddenly they are looking for silver bullets and garlic to ward off the evil. DID is difficult enough without added distress from unfounded fears.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Better to bloom late than not at all.

Anonymous said...

For those who still wonder what it's like to deal with you: It isn't scary at all. As your sister, it was such a relief to finally know. Knowing helped me understand why you kept asking me to repeat things (so all the personalities heard it), and why your speech patterns would change. Again, it truly was a huge relief.

I remember how angry I would feel and how impatient I felt trying to interact with you, before I knew. And I would be so mad at myself, because I felt like you were playing games with me, but that didn't feel quite right, and I didn't know why I should be the one feeling like I was in the wrong somehow. Once I knew, it was like all the critical pieces of a puzzle fell into place, and everything made sense.

Now that you've integrated, I probably take a little too much pleasure in your struggles to cope with the everyday problems, without your little luxury of being able to simply switch. As we always joke: Welcome to my world! :-) Love you!

Ruth said...

@ Laurel - So True.

@ Sis - I appreciate your support and encouragement. After all the headache, a little amusement is totally in order. Love you, too. :)