Friday, April 29, 2011

Problem with Conformity

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself." -Rita Mae Brown
From a friend on Facebook. 
"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself." -Mark Twain
I am thinking a lot about my self definition.  One of the things I did for many years was conform.  These two statements clarify why extreme conformity is a problem.  In the process, self is lost.  I don't want to be lost any more.  Not conforming is a lot less comfortable at first.  However, I think the benefits will out weigh the temporary discomfort.    

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

My Nparents always told me I was weird and NM threatened me with the "nut house" on a regular basis. It just made me shy and withdrawn when I was younger because I was afraid people would find out. Because of this, in high school I was considered weird by the other kids. (Having only two hand-me-down outfits to wear didn't help either!) Vicious cycle!

In my late teens I discovered my artistic ability and people seemed to expect an artist to be a bit different. Now, that I'm older, eccentric is the term used but I love it and consider it a compliment.

The main thing I've discovered is that I no longer really care what people think and am through trying to please them so they'll like me. I'd rather be myself and live by the 1/3 rule. "No matter what you do or say, 1/3 of those you meet will love/like you, 1/3 will hate/dislike you and the other 1/3, well, they just don't give a shit either way!"

Ruth said...

LOL The rule of "Thirds" is awesome. People at school thought I was weird. I got into counseling and found out I really was. :) Validation can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Great quotes, and love the 1/3 rule!