Friday, January 4, 2013

Is it really impossible?

"Always make a total effort,
even when the odds are against you."

- Arnold Palmer




Beating the odds.  When I watch football with DH I tend to root for the underdogs even if it is the 'wrong' team.  I cheer for an awesome play even if it is the 'other guys.'  I just love the whole beating the odds idea.  I was told regularly that I couldn't do something, I was too young, a girl, not smart enough, too weak... now being told I couldn't do something is almost a sure fire way to get me to do it.  Part of that is fighting my past and how many things I didn't do because I was told that I wasn't capable.  I some times wonder if my mother discouraged me from trying because she wanted to save me from disappointment.  What I learned that you always lose if you never try.  When I was 30 years old I was a semi-invalid for almost 3 years.  I was tired of living most my life in bed and started to fight back.  I felt like a snail at the Boston Marathon.  It took years of work to regain my health.  Then I had cancer.  All that work just to find out I had cancer.  But here's the deal, all that work taught me to keep going.  I beat cancer.  Then I started counseling.  You know, for me, cancer was a piece of cake compared to counseling.  I learned in the first 6 months how messed up I was.  I could wrap myself in a blanket and sit in a corner rocking back-n-forth lamenting that I got a lousy start to life.  That was an option.  Or I could step up and fight back.  I could relearn how to live.  Fortunately, I was working with a very healthy and compassionate counselor, KavinCoach.  He told me straight that I was an emotional moron and changing my life would be difficult but at no point did he tell me to quit because it was impossible.  I found out later that on the average he works with people for about 2 years.  He spent 7 1/2 years teaching me how to live.  I decided that he was willing to work with me that long because I was willing to do the homework.  The hard stuff.  The impossible.  I am still working with NewCounselor.  However, I am realizing that I have the tools I need to move forward on my own.  I am checking in with him once a month.  I started looking for a new challenge.  I learned that for me when I am seeking the way opens and God knows me well enough to know I thrive on challenges.   I followed a link that followed another link until I found someone else that enjoys doing the impossible and blogs about it.  Meet Joel, he does the impossible and encourages anyone to do the same. http://joelrunyon.com/two3/impossible-hq-2012 His challenges are physical efforts.  That is OK.  I am entering his contest to use one of his programs to get into physical shape.  I love his mantra "No Excuses."   Having a lousy childhood is just that an excuse not a reason.  Mental illness is a difficult challenge but not impossible.  PTSD is with me for life but it doesn't define me.  I study others that take on impossible task.  Michael Angelo and the Sistine Chapel.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistine_Chapel_ceiling  Chihuly Glass http://www.chihuly.com/ Blinded in one eye he was told to quit blowing glass or recreate himself.  He no longer blows glass himself but he acts much like a symphony director in creating some of the most amazing glass pieces in the world.  Anne Sullivan taught Helen Keller how to communicate. http://www.biography.com/people/anne-sullivan-9498826 Gandhi a man that set out to free his country and did.  http://history1900s.about.com/od/people/a/gandhi.htm I learned from each of them different ways that people achieve impossible results.  I also keep in mind the scripture that says Mark 10:27 (KJV) 27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.  I learned if I can't stand it, try my knees.  Along with the work I have prayed.  I studied on my own.  I read books and books on multiple personality disorder including a few chapters that tried to tell me that there was no such thing.  As I recall, I threw the book across the room.  Since it was a library book, I took it back instead of shredding it.  I started this blog to share that integrating multiple personalities is not impossible.  I will agree that it is hard.  This blog evolved into sharing that a lousy childhood makes living healthy difficult but not impossible.  No excuses, I can choose to live an emotionally, physically, and spiritually healthy life.  The only thing stopping me is myself.  Bring myself on board and I will do what it takes to achieve the impossible. 

6 comments:

Judith said...

I like to think that most things are possible and that there are many routes to your goal.

Ruth said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

I was never a fighter. I would give up, because I felt worthless. And it became one more thing for NM to criticize me for. My mother's message was that I was just a disgusting, taxing, spoiled burden on her because I had a child's needs, esp. emotionally. My siblings were living out the same struggle, but in different ways. My brother, for more than 30 years has been a serial suicide stunt puller, all kinds of ways, and even in front of his kids when they were small. He's now on disability, since his last stunt that I know of (2 years ago) got him fired (again). He is completely enmeshed with NM. My N-sister is an emotional eater, but of course her size is a completely taboo subject. She has become the Angel Daughter/First Lt. Narcissist, serving Sainted Mother with charm. As some point, however, just a couple of years ago, I started to learn that I did have some value. Not that I "feel" it, it's more an intellectual balance thing. "For He regards men not as they are merely, but as they are now growing, or capable of growing, toward that image after which He made them that they might grow to it. Therefore a thousand stages, each in itself all but valueless, are of inestimable worth as the necessary and connected gradations of an infinite progress. A condition which of declension would indicate a devil, may of growth indicate a saint." -George MacDonald. Somehow, I found the courage to stand up for myself this year, and call their treatment of me by its true names, and that has enraged the N's. Freeing myself from their clutches was a slow process, and now the road to try to figure out who I am looms ahead dauntingly.

Ruth said...

I believe you are on the path of figuring out what an amazing person you are. What others decide does not dictate what you will do. Enjoy the journey.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ruth, for your encouragement. You're truly an amazing person to me. My faith is not as intact as yours, and I truly appreciate all that you share.

Ruth said...

Thank you Brace.