Monday, January 21, 2013

Miracle of MRI

MRI Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)

I had my first MRI in 1987.  I fought with my body passing out since I was 15 years old.  I wanted to find a medical reason.  The scan took hours since it was a completed imaging of my entire brain.  Proved once and for all that there were no rocks there.  Here is the really cool thing about MRI.  They can get a fairly accurate picture of what is going on in there without surgery.  I had more MRIs when I went to Burrow's Neurological Institute. Again in the pursuit of finding out what was wrong with me.  Thanks to MRIs I did not have to have surgery to biopsy lumps.  I sport 2 snazzy titanium clips that mark places tested for cancer and found to be benign.  The clips drive airport security buggy.  Now once again the magic of magnetic resonance imaging will 'look' inside my head with the least amount of disturbance possible.  I am fortunate it is an option for me.  DH can never have them.  When he was a young teenager he broke his leg and now sports a metal pin in his leg.  I will wear my MRI clothes, no metal hooks, rivets, zippers, threads, hearing aides, glasses, no metal of any kind.  The room where these machines are entirely made of plastic, including the screws that hold the cabinets together.  Without computers this process would be impossible.  I took care of computer labs for 14 years.  I watch the jumps from 1 KB disk to multi-Terabyte arrays used for personal use.  The first 8 GB hard drive I installed to run video editing software cost $1000.  Now for $40 I own a jump drive with 8 GB.  The world is changing constantly.  Amazing people all over the world are inventing ways to make life better.  Teams pulling together to create miracles.  Unfortunately, the ones that make the headlines take lives away.  I am not afraid of the MRI.  I am afraid of the results.  I am fully aware that I am not the worse case they will see but it still my head.

 

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

My late older brother, worked on the team that developed MRI technology. The team was nominated for a Nobel Prize. Guess even a narcissist can contribute to society now and then!

Hope all goes well! Hugs!

Julio Loose said...

After experiencing multiple MRIs, I'm not surprised that you're not afraid of getting them done. I've had 3 thus far, and each time saw me calmer than the one before. Friends who have been advised to get one done now ask me about my own experience to help deal with their worries. I tell them the same thing as what you've written -- it's the results you need to be more prepared for.