Thursday, January 3, 2013

Making of a perfect victim

It's hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.  Sally Kempton, Esquire, 1970
http://www.innerkiddies.com/

A child comes into the world with no preconceived ideas about how to go on.  They might come with their own energy levels, little quirks, or a tiny personality but for the most part they don't know what to expect from this world.  Caregivers are in a position of establishing life long habits and expectations.  Hundreds of articles tell parents how formative and powerful their influence is during the first 5 years of life. A toddler screams when it is hurt, cries when frustrated, uses anger to get their way.  Punish a toddler for screaming when hurt, spank a child that cries, and punish their anger above all else do not give them what the need or want.  To really finish the job, tell them it is because you love them that you did this.  As a child grows use selected and out of context scripture to back up twisted behavior.
 
Ecclesiastes 7:9 (KJV) Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools

Proverbs 19:11 (KJV) The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.

Soon the lectures, berating, and twisted thinking takes up an outpost in the child's head.  Once there, the caregiver is free to do almost anything they want with out retaliation because the child believes they deserve it.  A child is hurt they hide their shameful reaction, a child is frustrated they blame themselves for being stupid, they no longer believe they will get what they need and what they want is no longer considered.  I tried a group counseling situation shortly after starting counseling.  One of the sessions they were trying to get us to try different things and realize how outside influences can confuse us.  My turn came and they blind folded me then asked me to walk across the room with chairs placed in my way.  I could only hear the instructions called out by my friend.  I was stressed to the max.  I hate being blind folded.  I am partially deaf.  Fear of falling and really getting hurt had me nearly out of my skin with anxiety.  Then one of the leaders of the group stood in my way.  She kept standing in front of me giving me counter instructions.  First I froze, not being able to sort out what I was supposed to do.  The leader taunted me.  I finally grabbed her and shoved her out of the way to finish the task.  The group leader than chastised me for my violence.  I didn't say it, but I thought, "Bitch, you are lucky I didn't put you in the hospital and traumatized all the other woman all over again." I complained bitterly to KavinCoach at the next session.  He asked me, "Why didn't you take off the blindfold and say you can't do this?"

He may as well grown two heads.  What he proposed was so outlandish to me that I would never consider not doing what I was told to do.  I was indeed a perfect victim.  Easily manipulated and twisted as the other person desired.  I could not convey to KavinCoach how completely I didn't consider that as an option.  I brooded about it for a week until the next session with KavinCoach.  I finally came up with an answer for him.  "I would no more think of quitting than you would think to strip naked right now and run down the street for two miles."  He stared at me to process what I said.  His answer, "You are right I wouldn't even think of that."

Ten years of counseling and still my greatest enemy is still inside my head.  If a computer has faulty program, I can rewrite the hard drive.  If a person has faulty thinking, first they must unlearn the false, then relearn the truth.  I needed to realize that the twisting of scriptures was done by taking things out of context and distorting meanings.  I needed to accept that my childhood wasn't the ideal that I believed at one time that it was.  I totally restructured my thinking.  I am a work in progress and continue to struggle with believing in myself and destroying the enemy outposts in my head.  

10 comments:

Judith said...

Pardon my language, but you were screwed as a kid. It's amazing you're still around trying to make things right for yourself.

Ruth said...

Yea, my counselor said about the same thing.

mulderfan said...

I still cling to the belief that we can retrain our thinking. Set backs have happened but I'll never give up believing that, as an adult, I'm in charge and I can and will kick them outta my head.

Ruth said...

High 5 mulderfan. Changing is my choice and I am doing it.

Anonymous said...

I so relate to growing up not being able to think of any choice but compliance.

Ruth said...

Brace, I am sorry that you understand. I suspect that it is not just reading about it in a book.

Scatha said...

My favorite part is "He may as well grown two heads" :) it is so picturesque :)

I had a very similar experience, when after a performance, a few people grouped up around me and started dragging our performance down and saying mean things about the participants (I refused to accept their participation in our project because they were downright mean and evil to some of the members). My first and only reaction was to somehow find a way to protect everyone else from the pain these people could cause them, so I took all the damage they could do on myself.

Half an hour later I found myself crying (and being surprised about what was wrong with me) while all the other members of the project celebrated how awesome we were together, and they tried to ask me what happened. When I told them they asked me why didn't I tell them earlier that those people were hurting me, so that they could go and kick their ass and protect me.

Well, they may as well grown two heads.
:)
I was like... what? me?
I didn't realize that they were hurting me at all (I always blank out when it happens) and even if I did, my solution basket does not even contain realizing being hurt and doing something against it.

It was as if they spoke an exotic language that I haven't even heard of. I didn't even consider it an option, it was simply nonexistent for me.

So, I get it, Ruth, totally.

I also believe that it is amazing that we have the chance to be surrounded with people who can add to our limited tools resource - for example simply stopping being a victim.

:hugs:

Ruth said...

Scatha, thank you for sharing your experience. Stopping being a victim is possible. Part of that is learning new ways of handling situations.

christa said...

Ruth and Scatha, what you wrote just gave me moment of clarity. Is it true? Can it be? Can I really, really stop being a victim? Is it OK to walk away? That is what I did but I haven't allowed myself the proverbial pat on the back that yes, it was ok for me to walk away and CHOOSE to not be a victim. I didn't realize that is what I did and now I know that I don't need to feel guilty or make excuses for what I did and why. The why is very real.

Never being supported in my life, especially by those who are supposed to support me, has put me in a perpetual state of victim. I think if someone in my family supported me today, they would for sure of grown two heads..or hell just froze over.

I am choosing to surround myself with people who support me vs attacking me. I am hoping to move out of that state of constant fear and lack of trust in people.

Thank you for the insight.

Ruth said...

Christa glad to hear you are choosing to surround yourself with people that support you. Move out of the state of fear is an awesome move.