Thursday, April 17, 2014

Brick walls are just there

RESTORATION: I learned this, at least, by my experiment: if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors, to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours—Henry David Thoreau


Well my experience is vastly different.  We lived in a small town in Washington state when our kids were small.  The house was remodeled in 1960...finally put in an indoor bathroom.  There wasn't an even floor in the house.  The bedroom door couldn't close all the way because the floor kept it from shutting.  I came home late one evening and the house was all in darkness.  Being polite, I crept through the house without turning on the lights so I wouldn't wake up any of the kids.  (I knew better than to ever wake up a sleeping child.)  I was walking towards my dreams of sleep when POW....I ran smack dab into the closed bedroom door with my husband laughing his head off on the other side.  He had fixed the door and decided to 'surprise' me.  I was surprised all right.  The memory still makes me chuckle.  But my life is like that, I am walking along feeling like life is going pretty well when BAM something smacks me in the face for no particular reason or a trigger or getting sick or life just happens.  NOTHING in my life went as I expected.  I learned that after plan B comes plan C and plan D and I get discouraged when I get to plan ZZ.  What I learned if you don't move, you don't go anywhere.  Change is not always for the better....'the out of the frying pan and into the fire' cliche has real merit.  Success is not always what I expected it to be.  More than once I sustained whiplash from the rapid reversals in my life.  9:00 AM I had a job then 5 PM I was moved completely out of my office with all my accumulated junk.  That was 5 years ago and I am still trying to get my feet under me where I feel like I am moving towards my dreams.  I have them now.  Life just keeps happening.  So I keep moving and I get some interesting surprises.




 

No comments: