Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hope

I heard the story of Pandora's box years ago.  I'm not even sure how old I was when I first heard the story.  For those not familiar with the tale you can find it at http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/pandoras-box-myth/
The version I heard was that hope was captured inside the box for a time but pleaded to be let out too.  I used this in my show for cancer.  Symbolizing no matter how scary and rotten cancer was there is always hope.  Since then I learned the power of hope with many troubles.

A search of quotes on the internet netted millions of hits.  Brainy quotes is a favorite of mine:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_hope.html

I think Desmond Tutu says it best....


Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.
Too often when I focus on solving a problem that seems overwhelming I tend to lose sight of hope.  I think this year my word to study is hope.  Start with a definition from Mirriam and Webster:
intransitive verb
1 to cherish a desire with anticipation <hopes for a promotion>
2 archaic :  trust
 
transitive verb
1  to desire with expectation of obtainment
2  to expect with confidence :  trust
 — hope against hope
  to hope without any basis for expecting fulfillment 
Wow the word trust jumped out at me.   I'll need to explore that some more.  
I believe that that hope I have felt is the hope against hope....no logical reason to hope for something but hope any way.  For me, being in total darkness and believing the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.  


  • Romans 12:12

    12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

No comments: