Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Steps to happiness

http://www.purposefairy.com/7669/12-scientifically-proven-steps-to-happiness/

I like Purposefairy.  Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed by her optimism but I am like her.

Here are her headings....my comments are in Gray and Green

1. EXPRESS GRATITUDE

This is a favorite of mine too.  Feeling gratitude is an awesome, sharing what you are feeling shares it.  Fun to spread good feelings around. 

2. CULTIVATE OPTIMISM


“The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose.” – Kahlil Gibran
I left the original quote that goes with the one I hung on my wall in high school from Abraham Lincoln, "You can mourn because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."  Optimism is nurtured and I can add to it at any time.  

3. AVOID OVER-THINKING AND SOCIAL COMPARISON

  A big 10-4 on this one. Comparisons is one of the tools used to destroy relationships and self-esteem.  Over-thinking is a difficult to control some days.  I do remind myself to KISS it.  Keep it simple sweety. 

4. PRACTICE ACTS OF KINDNESS

  Fun to practice random acts of kindness.  Give a Just-because-it-is-Tuesday gift on any day accept Tuesday.  Random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty are good for the heart. 

5. NURTURE SOCIAL RELATIONSHIPS

  Relationships take time. In this day and age of higher and higher productivity, people tend to get lost in the hurry scurry thinking.  Refer to #4 for nurturing relationships. 

6. DEVELOP STRATEGIES FOR COPING

  This is what I learned in counseling, coping skills.  There are many ways to cope with any problem and someone is blogging about the solutions or wrote a book on it.  Practice new ways to face life challenges. 

7. LEARN TO FORGIVE

  Tough one for me because I was taught an unhealthy definition.  I am unlearning and relearning about forgiveness, yes there are books on this too, including the Bible.  

8. INCREASE FLOW EXPERIENCES

  I didn't even know what this was until I was in Photography.  Hyper-vigilance wrecks havoc on getting into the pleasure zone of creativity when space, time and hunger are temporarily suspended.  Creative outlets vary but I highly recommend exploring possibilities.  Never too old to try some new art.  My friend Netty bought and learned to play the organ in her 70's because the doctor said it would help her arthritis.  

9. SAVOR LIFE’S JOY

  Savor.....I started working at savoring food by taking a single bite and letting it wander around in my mouth for a bit before swallowing.  Stretch a delightful 5 minutes to a radiant 10 minutes.  Recognize pay attention to those joyful moments.  Expressing gratitude, #1, focuses our attention on what we are savoring. 

10. COMMIT TO YOUR GOALS

  First make sure they are your own goals.  I am a people pleaser, many times when I didn't commit to a goal it wasn't my goal in the first place.  My counselor asked me, "What do you want?"  I do believe answering that question opens me up to what my goals actually are.    

11. PRACTICE SPIRITUALITY

  There is more and more research showing that spirituality is essential to a happy soul.  Please note, spirituality is not just sitting in church.  I believe I became a Christian when I allowed Christ's teachings to alter my life.    

12. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY

  You only get one.  Spare parts are difficult to get.  I am learning that the older I get the more important this is.   


With all my love,

  G  I hope you enjoyed my perspective on Purpose Fairies post.  I do recommend reading her thoughts and come up with your own lists.    

No comments: