Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Relief

Years ago, when I first started counseling, the counselor said that as I talked about stuff I would feel relief.  It didn't happen.  Over and over and over.  I felt discouraged and that I was doing something wrong.  After 10 years of counseling, I know the program.  I jabber about what seems to be tormenting me.  Counselor makes some observations or relates back to me to check in if she understood.  Then the last 10 to 15 minutes she makes suggestions of possible changes in my thoughts or actions.  Today, I felt that relief.  That feeling of "I can do this now."  I see where my thinking was running in circles.  Gave me a new perspective.  I realize now that this feeling happened before, I just didn't know what it meant.  One of the big things about counseling for me was pointing out what I was feeling and validating that emotion.  I am thankful for a counselor that makes a difference for me. 

No comments: