Friday, May 6, 2011

Dilemma

Every year at Mother's Day I face an interesting dilemma: How do I celebrate a day that is full of joy and full of pain? 

Several years in counseling were devoted with attempting to wrap my mind around my childhood.  A childhood I mostly don't remember.  Another huge chunk of time was spent wrapping my mind around my relationship with my mother.   I did agree with KavinCoach when he said that what my mother gave me for nurturing was a "Widow's mite."  She didn't have much to give so I didn't get much.  She didn't mean to be the way she is, hurtful and neglectful.  She was raised in an abusive home and she did better for me than was done to her.  I finally looked at KavinCoach and said, "If you are shot on purpose, or by accident, you are equally dead."  The trouble I had was that I knew that my mother was told by her medical doctors on more than one occasion to get counseling.  She refused.  It hurt too much.  She didn't want her life to change.  So she rewrote her history to a happy, wonderful childhood that never existed.  My father reiterating, "That is just the way your mother is, you have to love her."  I felt that I wasn't worth rescuing.  My mother was the most important.  Too bad if I got caught in the fall out.  Get over it.  It is not that bad.  There are worse cases of abuse and neglect.  Why can't you 'forgive and forget?'  The pain is massive.  If I think about it for too long the rage mounts to an unbearable level.  She gave birth to me.  I have bits and pieces of memories that I cherish, unfortunately the sum total is massive damage that I am still in the process of healing.  Every mother's day card I read I want to rip to shreads or cry.  From the age of 5, I have been looking for a mother. 

At age 17 I swore I would never have children.  Life happened and events occurred that I changed my mind, he was 6 feet tall and very good looking.  Married and gave birth to 6 amazing children.  I was on the fast track to becoming a lady engineer before I married.  Not terribly common in my younger days.  I gave up the hope for a brilliant career to become what I called a home engineer with 6 ongoing projects, each in different phases of development.  I never regretted my decision to have children instead of a career.  I have watched them grow, leave, and now each have families of their own.  Amazing families with wonderful in-laws that add richness to our family dynamics.  They have suffered from my illnesses but they have all become wonderful adults that my greatest pleasure is the opportunity to interact with them.  My greatest joys are my children.  They have blessed my life.  I think about them for any length of time and my heart is filled with joy.  I feel blessed when they can join me for Mother's day but I understand their lives are busy and share Mother's day with their own families and the in-laws.  I have chosen to believe that any day with my family of choice is my Mother's day.  I don't need to wait for May.  All year round I feel joy when I can visit with our kids and their families.  I feel deep gratitude for the events that led to my decision to become a mother. 

I see Mother's Day as a day to look at my relationship with my mother and mourn the loss of my relationship with her.  To then look at my relationships as a mother and feel deep gratitude.  It is always a day of extremes for me. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.
so bittersweet.

Melissa said...

I completely understand. My sister graduates today, and my immediate family is going out to dinner to celebrate, so I wanted to get a mother's day card to give my mom so that it was clear that my husband and I aren't planning on returning to my parents' house for Mother's Day.

As I was reading the cards, I scoffed at most of them. I added snarky lines or swear words to them in my head. I have always hated cardshopping for anything other than birthdays for my mom, and have always bought the funny ones. I finally realized why this time around: the "sweet, sincere" ones are not even close to being true. Reading them makes me want to cry, because I definitely did not have the mother they describe.

You broke the Terrible Parent cycle, and that's something to be extremely proud of. I'm proud of you for it. Happy mother's day, Ruth!

mulderfan said...

I agree, every day that my daughter is happy and healthy is Mother's Day for me.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Sounds like you're making some healthy choices. Good for you.

Ruth said...

@lisa - Bittersweet is a good description. Thanks for the comment.

@Melissa - Cards are really hard. Thank you. I believe that the cycle can be broken and we do it one family at a time.

@mulderfan - Happy and healthy is wonderful. Hope you and your daughter have an awesome day.

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel.

Jonsi said...

Ruth, the description of your childhood and your mother is eerily similar to DH's. The lack of memories, the feeling that it doesn't matter what her intentions were, the fear of having children of your own because you didn't want to pass on your dysfunctions to them...you could be DH saying these things!

I will say this: I am sad for you that your did not have the mother you needed. She certainly wasn't the mother you wanted, but she was the one you got. And now, you are facing your Truths, as ugly as they are. That's a hard thing. It's a courageous thing. I'm happy for your children that you are willing and able to do this. I'm happy for you that you have realized that the hard road is better than the easy one. I feel that in the long run, it will work out.

I'll say to you what I say to DH: You are worth fighting for. Keep fighting the good fight, Ruth.

Hugs.

Jonsi/TM

Jonsi said...

Ruth, I keep leaving comments and blogger deletes them! Third attempt :)

I wanted to say that I feel for you, that your situation is so similar to DH's, and offer you my encouragement. I'm so sorry that you didn't have the mother that you needed. But more than that, I am happy for you, your husband, and your children, that you are making the choice to overcome your dysfunctions. You are owning them, which is so much bigger than what your own mother did.

You'll make it. It will get easier. I'm proud of you, if that means anything! Yours is not an easy road to travel.

Hugs,

Jonsi/TM

Ruth said...

Hi Jonsi, Looks like two of them made it. I found the same thing coming to upsi and mulderfan and other blogs is the similarity between the parents. Thank you for your support.
Ruth

Janet said...

Great job on being a chain breaker Ruth!

Ruth said...

Thank you.