Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day in the United States honors men and women that have fought in wars.  The veterans that come home and those that don't, fighting for causes that they believe are for freedom and protection.  I was a teenager during the protest of the Viet Nam war and thought how silly it was to blame the soldiers for poor choices of our leaders.  If something seems inconsistent I try to find out more.  I have thought and pondered over these issues and raised a family of 6 children.  If anyone has more than one child they will know that World War 3 can be started in your own household.  Horsing around can change to all out war in a flick of wrist.  "MOM - HE/SHE HIT ME."  I also worked at the school where I learned the rule that the teacher sees the second punch.  The start of most arguments started well before they scuffled on the play ground.  Currently in the Middle East a family squabble that has escalated for over 4000 years.  Before counseling I never could make heads or tails of any of this.  In counseling, I learned about boundaries.  In fact, one of the deciding factors for me to go to counseling was I wanted to know what a boundary was.  A marriage class I attended spent an entire evening talking about the importance of boundaries.  I did not know what they were talking about.  Raised by a narcissistic mother and enabling father, I had no boundaries.  Now I am learning that boundaries are needed for those that do not respect the rights of others.  Now I understand on a much bigger scale that there are bullies in this world that do not want or feel a need to respect others.  Now I understand that the soldiers of every generation desired to protect their boundaries and freedoms.  I have a much deeper appreciation for those that risk their lives that I may vote.  I am deeply indebted to those that make it possible for me to worship as I see fit.  I am grateful that I can make choices that are denied many others because of a soldier that has suffered in so many ways with many paying the ultimate price of laying down their life for their brother.  I believe that there are many wars that we may criticize why our leaders are choosing to do this or that.  The soldiers that stand on the front line facing incoming rounds of ammo deserve my honor and admiration.  Thank you to all soldiers and veterans. 

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

A sad oxymoron that we have to fight for peace. There must be another way!

Ruth said...

I keep hoping.

Laurel Hawkes said...

As long as there are those willing to kill for power, there will need to be those willing to fight for freedom.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.