Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mixed blessings


For some reason, my mind is thinking a lot about when I had cancer.  Like poking at a long forgotten scar that has healed and you think you have moved on.  Today at church they were discussing faith and prayer in Sunday school class, a common combination.  The teacher threw out a question about answer to prayers.  I blurted out that sometimes answers are not what you are expecting.  I prayed for understanding and was given a huge challenge.  My second mammogram they found breast cancer.  I was in shock.  I met the challenge and learned the importance of getting professional help when you have a big problem.  I learned that family can really back you but some can actually make your challenge worse.  Embrace those that help and avoid those that drain.  I learned that complete strangers will empathize if you present your challenge without a 'poor me' attitude.  I learned that prayer brought comfort not an absence of problems.  Talking to a professional that blows you off means you can change to someone different.  It is OK to look for someone that not only is qualified but treats you like a human being.  My cancer was caught early but it was still my cancer.  I was a person with cancer not a disease to be destroyed.  Cancer is life changing.  You face one of Mother Natures ultra bullies.  In my case, I won with a lot of help from family, friends, medical people, and Heavenly Father.  Having cancer helped build confidence.  Having cancer set my priorities in order.  Having cancer prepared me for the much more difficult task of facing my past.  Ten years later, I am thankful for cancer and the things it taught me about myself and those around me.  



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that triptych. ~Judy

mulderfan said...

Buddhists also believe that challenges are sent our way to make us stronger. I'm glad you found a positive in such a frightening disease.

Ruth said...

Thanks Judy. :)

I agree mulderfan. KavinCoach used the quote, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Anonymous said...

is that you in the last picture? youre beautiful!

Ruth said...

About 20 years ago. Thanks :)