Sunday, August 18, 2013

Armor

I am Christian and I learned a few things about and from abusers.  Abusers use the knowledge that I am Christian to their advantage.  They tell me I am being unforgiving when I place boundaries to protect myself from their cruelty.   They say that being Christian means I turn the other cheek and the other one and the other one.  Parent abusers say to Honor your parents without behaving honorably.  Abusers are knowledgable of religious beliefs and use them to their own advantage to keep down their victims.  I understand Bible bashing from another perspective by those that use the Bible to manipulate and hurt others.  For a time, I stopped reading scriptures because I saw how they were used negatively.  Christ knew of my experience and prompted me to keep reading and studying and opening my heart to all He had to say.  One of those passages is where He counsels to put on the Whole Armor of God.....He wants me to wear Armor....He is not expecting me to be defenseless.



Ephesians 6:10-18

King James Version (KJV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;


To protect the very core of ourselves, there is Truth.  Over and over again as I read the blogs of others Truth is the clarion call to recognize the behavior of abusers.  Meeting their lies with truth reveals them for what they are and protects who we are.  Breastplate protects our hearts and vital organs.  Righteousness is on going behavior of choosing God's path of righteousness....I learned a long time ago that Righteousness forms a protection that abusers can't penetrate because it is about me making choices to follow Heavenly Father's son Jesus Christ.  An abuser pales compared to Christ.  Protecting your feet in battle is vital.  The gospel of peace is Christ's teachings.  He is not a milk toast Christ.  He is strong and powerful but choose kindness and righteousness as his attributes to encourage us to follow Him.  A shield in Biblical times was huge.  When placed before a person they can literally stand behind it.  The question I sometimes ask myself, do I stand behind my faith?  The helmet protects my head, my brain-box, the essence of my thoughts and salvation protects this vital part of me.  What I learn is the only thing that goes with me after I die.  Salvation protects that knowledge for when I am resurrected.  The sword is the Spirit or another name is the Holy Ghost.  Through this power I have studied and been inspired to cut to the truth of a situation.  But like any sword I must grasp it and learn to use it to become effective in battles.  If I 'yield my sword' I am giving up to my enemy...the abuser.  That is not expected of me.  I am instructed to protect myself.  Prayer is always available....anytime.....anywhere......any reason.








1 comment:

mulderfan said...

Rev Renee has a great store of Bible quotes that explain why we do not have to accept abuse http://www.luke173ministries.org/466809. I struggled because Buddha counsels us to honour our parents but, he tells the story of two young brothers who left home because of their parents forbade their pursuit of Buddhism. Every rule has its exceptions!