Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Success?

Success isn't how far you got, but the 
distance you traveled from 
where you started.
- Proverb 

 I am out of sorts, frustrated, and hiding answers from myself.  I hate this feeling and it has lingered for weeks. I now understand why preparing to stop counseling is so difficult.  Weekly counseling I have someone to talk to that will help me sift through my thoughts without feeling offended or trying to 'fix' me.  I was fortunate to have two great counselors that focused on teaching me to be an independent healthy adult.  However, I am still trying to learn to sort out chaotic thoughts when they come form multiple sources.  I am going to try to write about the things that seem to be pressing on my mind....I am employed at a school.  I worked on a huge project for the first two weeks.  In the process, I am now behind on getting everything else done.  I am struggling knowing that by this time I should have other stuff done already.  Instead, I don't even have them started.  I am frustrated and anxious every time I am asked to do something else.  Also back at school I am watching other people eat, a lot more food than I am.  I am feeling picked on.  I keep reminding myself I am choosing to loose weight so that requires different choices than I made in the past.  To loose weight, I had to change my eating habits.  Over the summer, I didn't compare my choices to anybody else.  It was easier.  Now, I see what other people are eating for lunch. I brought a book to read and I may start using lunch time as a catch up on my reading time.  If I don't see what they are eating I won't feel like I am deprived.  (Easy to say after eating two lovely pieces of pizza, thank goodness for the elliptical to burn some of those calories.)  There is stumbling block loosing weight.  I knew it would be stressful.  What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy taking on harder physical challenges.  About this time last year I was introduced to Joel's impossible blog.  He challenged me to 10 minutes of different types of exercises that  really pushed me.  Last February, I did my first mud run with about 5 K with 15 challenges including mud puddles, net climbing and over/under barricades.  My daughter did it with me and I finished.   Now, I bought some DVD's by Bob Harper, one of the trainers from the biggest looser.  Oh my goodness.  I stepped up to activities that I never been able to do and some of my muscles are really whining.  (No, I cannot have cheese with my whine, too many calories.)  With all the crap of not getting stuff done at school I was feeling a bit like a failure, I am not keeping up.  Writing this I am reminding myself of how far I have come.  Wow.  I am doing better than I thought.  Deep breathes. Time to play on Facebook.


Under this one over the next one.
 

2 comments:

TR said...

A Bob Harper workout - that is wonderful. I just started watching the biggest loser and his workouts look amazing. Cheers to the distance you have traveled. xx

Ruth said...

Thanks TR...Biggest Loser is where I learned about Bob. He uses his brand of encouragement on his tape too. He expects me to push myself but doesn't beat me up if I need to put the weights down...He keeps reminding me to keep moving. He reminds me that only I can choose to get off the couch and move my body. He is very big on personal responsibility without telling me I am rotten. I think I like what he says as much as the exercises he has me do. However, I have to be careful to not hurt myself in my enthusiasm to meet his level of work out.