Monday, August 26, 2013

Reset

Joel cracks me up sometimes....

impossiblehq.com/resetting-the-default

He writes a reminder that to keep doing when you don't feel like doing anything.  He gives an example:
Instead of not working out at all, at the very least you’re doing 100 pushups.
Can I just say right here that I couldn't do 100 pushups on a great day? That being said he does have a point.  When I realize that I am drifting back into old ways of dealing with life that are ineffective or self destructive, I need to hit a reset button.  For years I worked with computers, the first thing I would do with a problematic computer was restart it.  One person asked why this was helpful.  I told them that the computer goes through all sorts of self checks and puts everything away to restart.  I believe there is revalue of restarting to hitting a reset button for myself.  I am seeing MyCounselor only once a month now and I realized this last time that he didn't teach me anything new.  He was a reset for me to see if I am doing what I should be doing to take care of myself, improve my relationships with loved ones, and I was making healthy choices for the challenges I am facing. 

The line that jumped out at me in Joel's post is:
If you find yourself stuck, stop thinking you need to do everything. You just need to do something. Anything.
Inaction, zoning out watching TV or video games are all behaviors that decrease my ability to solve why I am stuck.  Like a computer that locks up, I need to hit my restart button.  Decide something that I do daily to get my thinking back where it belongs, unstuck and making healthy choices again.  Sometimes writing these posts are self reminders of what I need to be doing or insight as to why I am not doing what I need to be doing.  Reading other people's blogs sometimes gives me suggestions of things I can do or reassurance that I am not alone in this struggle called life. 

Sometimes I am staring at a problem right in my face but I feel stuck as to how to solve it.  Hit the reset button.

1 comment:

mulderfan said...

Sometimes we need to stop thinking and just do! While I'm on the hamster wheel over thinking I'm not "doing".