Friday, August 30, 2013

Learning from a photographer

I love to learn new things.  I also enjoy finding the connections between one issue and another.  I want to question everything and see how it relates to other subjects.  Lately I haven't picked up my camera very often.  Several things happened simultaneously that took a while to sort out what was wrong.  First, I was spending too much time looking at other photographers.  I became so enthralled with the beauty of their photographs that I lost the feeling of awe of my own work.  Second, I have a large project that is pulling my creative resources and attention away from photography.  Third, I realized that I don't want to make my living from photography.  In the process, I loss direction for where I want to go with my photographic skills.  I am reusing the same photographs rather than exploring the vast number of photographs tucked away on my computer.  So what does this have to do with my blog?  I get a photography blog notices in my email.  This way one of the articles was 7 ways to create authentic portraits.   http://digital-photography-school.com/7-ways-to-create-authentic-powerful-portraits   This concept interested me years ago when I was studying photography in college.  I read about Gertrude Kasebeir I admired her technique of getting the personality of the person in her prints during a time when photographers didn't worry about doing that.  I realized that the 7 steps apply to living an authentic life as well as the pictures. 

1. Stop second guessing yourself...constantly checking your progress, slows down and interrupts living.

2. Explore Modes....day-to-day it is easy to get into a rut.  Explore new ways to handle a situation.  Step out side of my normal way of doing things. 

3.  Lose the Fat lens...remove barriers that keep me from living an engaged life.

4.  Get to know my subject...I can't tell someone's story if I don't know what it is.  Get to know the people in my life. 

5.  Put the camera down...stop rushing to the finish line and spend the time connecting to the people that are in my life.

6. Control my life purpose...where am I going with my life.   Is what I am doing keeping me in touch with my elemental purpose in living?

7. Meditate/Pray...I believe meditation and prayer are slightly different.  Meditation is a chance to get in touch with my spiritual self.  Prayer is checking in with God and letting Him know my needs and desires.  Also an opportunity to thank Him for so many wonderful blessings that are already in my life.  I believe both are essential to living an authentic vital life. 

Deep breathes begin again.  Correct some of my thinking.  Enjoy living.  






No comments: