Monday, November 25, 2013

Art a tool for healing

Art and healing go together

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/arts-and-health/201310/visual-journaling-self-regulation-and-stress-reduction-0

The first time someone said, "So you are an artist." I denied the allegation with my photo hanging in the Art school hall way.  I believed that I was the generation that was skipped for art talent.  Both of my parents were talented artists and my children received honors for art.  I believed that I was missed.  I was blessed to get hired by an Art department to take care of their computers.  They were frustrated with talking with me about anything since I had 'zero' art experience.  I couldn't talk their language.  Out of frustration, they required me to take a photography class.  Yup, part of my job was to go to class and gain a vocabulary that would allow me to talk with the professors.  The very first picture I printed was a photogram.  I didn't understand that were only supposed to do one.  I spent the entire 2 hours experimenting with this magical process of turning a white sheet of paper into a wonder of shades of gray with light and chemicals. http://www.photograms.org/portfolio01.htmThe teacher was surprised at my absorption with what he thought a simple project to introduce the class to develop prints in the dark room.  I felt like a magical door was opened inside my mind.  My final project I combined photograms with prints.  One of the prints from this project was the piece in question when the art director dubbed me an artist.  Took me many years to accept that art was part of me.  I eventually learned that is a language for anyone.  The break down comes when someone else expressed their opinion about my art.  I first understood the power of art when I took my drawing class the semester that I found out I had cancer.  I received permission from my teacher to stay in class and miss several weeks because of my surgery.  After my surgery, I realized I hadn't taken into account the fact that I couldn't hold the large note pads.  I created several much smaller drawings with a smaller pad.  One of my fellow students would come after class and show me what they did in class.  I would practice the perspective drawings.  I was blessed when my sister-in-law drove me to class so I could actually get the instruction first hand.  I was taking some very heavy duty pain medications that didn't allow me to drive.  Working on the drawings is during this recovery time was when I stumbled on another bit of magic.  Drawing was difficult for me.  It took every ounce of focus and brain power to draw the simplest pictures.  I discovered that when I focused so intently on my drawings I was able to reduce the amount of pain medication I took.  I have used the simple act of drawing to reduce anxiety, pain, and other unpleasant emotions.  I draw simple things.  Some times it is really nothing at all just pencil marks on a page, lots and lots of pencil marks on a page.  The rhythm of dragging the pencil back and forth across the page brings a soothing peace that is quite amazing.  If I am asked 'what' I am drawing I couldn't tell you because I don't know.  Just pencil on paper making lines where ever my mind and hand took me.  

Class assignment
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/09/08/50-clever-tutorials-and-techniques-on-traditional-drawing/

No comments: