Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving Arizona Style

Born in Phoenix, Arizona I spent my growing up years playing barefoot outside on Thanksgiving.  Today, I carry on the tradition, took out the recycling barefoot.  We spent many years in Washington state and I appreciate the warmth.  Some years are family eats Thanksgiving dinner outside.  I can say right now that I love all the cooking involved with having a big feast.  Removing resentment I discovered the joy I feel cooking and prepping to watch it all disappear in minutes.  I remember, when I was a kid, making my Dad's favorite cream cheese and maraschino cherry stuffed dates.  I was perfect for the job, I didn't like eating them.  However, I loved making them just because my Dad liked them.  Now I continue a change on the tradition.  My husband loves cherry pie.  I love making them for him.  I don't like eating them myself.  This year I made 2 with different types of cherries in each one, one was more sweet then other more tart.  I had him sample a slice of each for breakfast.  The one that he liked best I tucked away in the cupboard just for him.  I am blessed with talented children and their spouses that are all wonderful cooks so I don't have much to do for cooking other than the battle of the turkey.  I've had some spectacular fails inner-mixed with mild successes.  For many years I swore off cooking turkeys.  During this time one son won a turkey at a turkey shoot.  I informed him that if won it, he could cook it.  He did a great job.

This year I am tackling the turkey.  I started early, missing part of the Macy's Parade, which was a really good thing because when I tried to remove the neck I was met with ice.   AAAAAGGGGHHHH.  The darn thing was put in our refrigerator last Thursday it was supposed to be thawed by now.  No problem, I know the routine into the cold water it goes with me shivering as I pull out chunks of ice.  I ate a lovely breakfast.  Back to the turkey and stuffing and following the directions from the Joy of Cooking.  The authors like cooking a whole lot more than I do.  I found out a whole new meaning of 'dressing a turkey.'  The book recommend soaking a coarse cloth, I used cheese cloth, in butter and spreading it across the bird while it cooks.  I will try to remember to post how it went.  

The Macy's Day parade is a tradition for me.  I was surprised when I watched Snoopy float on to the TV screen that I felt tears prickle my eyes.  I just felt so happy and blessed to have the luxury of watching the parade.  Technology can be such a blessing.  I've come a long way since watching the parade on a small black and white TV when I was a little girl to wonderful color right in my family room.  Some of the character balloons have floated through the parade longer than I am old...that is impressive.  Some are new, the black dragon from 'How to Train your Dragon' made its debut this year.  I appreciate KPNX channel 12 showed the parade with only interruptions for commercials without all the celebrates.  I love watching the parade.  

Soon families will arrive and my house will be much busier with little feet bouncing up and down the stairs.  I am truly blessed this Thanksgiving day.  Hope all your days are filled with joy.




2 comments:

Judy said...

It was all delicious and the best turkey I've ever had.

Ruth said...

It did turn out very yummy. I can never again say that I can't cook turkey.