Monday, November 18, 2013

Self-Acceptance

You can't make other people responsible for your self-worth. Whether it's your boss, your parents or your romantic partner, your friends, your colleagues or your team-mates, once you're an adult, how these people feel about you shouldn't be connected with how you feel about yourself. Self-acceptance & self-esteem ought to come from within. It's not your job as an adult to seek approval by being "nice" or helpful to others. It's not other people's job to make you feel good about yourself. People will like you or love you if they're able to; if you click & if circumstances permit. If they don't like you or approve of you it may have nothing whatsoever to do with you. Waiting or trying for external approval gives other people the power over your self-worth & undermines your inner peace.
I have quite a few post-in-waiting that some take a long time to get posted.  This one I saved from Facebook a while ago.  I need the reminder that the self in self-esteem means me.  I am responsible for how I feel about myself.  The holidays are upon us.  From now until about Valentine's day, I struggle with too high self-expectations, seasonal depression, and general I'M-OVERWHELMED feeling.  Each year I start earlier and earlier trying to prepare for the holiday onslaught of 'AAAAGGGGHHHHH what was I thinking to plan to do A-Z in 2 months.'  I struggle this time of year with wanting to buy everything in the store for our grandkids.  I want to do every activity with our kids.  Church and work gear up to a frenzy level of activities.  "Stop the boat now!"    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zail7Gdqro Charlie and the Chocolate Factory scene.

3 deep breaths....I can choose to take the pressure off myself.  I can choose which activities stay and which I choose to put off or eliminate.  I decide what I need to do.  I am responsible for the self in self-care and self-esteem.  I won't accomplish everything but I can accomplish some things.  Step back and decide carefully what are the essentials and which are the like-to-do but not this year or maybe ****GASP**** not at all.


No comments: