Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pedestals are wobbly

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
Mahatma Gandhi

The problem with putting someone on a pedestal is that they are more likely to fall off.  I started college in the engineering program then transferred to photography when my job required me to take a photography class at the university I worked at.  When I changed majors I had to take all the art classes for my major.  In a 3D design class I was given an 4x8 ft (1.2x4.2 m) piece of card board.  The requirement was to make something that would hold my weight.  I created a pedestal that looked spindly and fragile.  However, when I stood on it, I passed the requirement.  The teacher was astounded.  I used my knowledge from my engineering class to create a strong piece of art. Standing on it reminded me how uncomfortable it can be. 

One of the problems with counseling is the tendency of a client to put their therapist on a pedestal.  My expectations of my counselors is sometimes unreasonable.  I worked long and hard to improve my mental health.  My expectations of my counselors is to always be on higher ground.  I forget that sometimes counselors have bad days, get discouraged, or have expectations of me that feel uncomfortable for me.  I have a lot to think over. 

No comments: