Sunday, March 30, 2014

Be Still

 One of my struggles is that my abuser used scriptures to manipulate me.  I know many scriptures address quiet but I wanted to go back and read them in context and try to gain some insight about quiet.  

What I found today:
When we are still that is when we can know God.  He is not in the roaring wind but a still small voice.  Working in quiet is better than dwelling in strife. 
Patience has an element of quiet.    
Job's friends came and sat quietly while he grieved. I thought about the story of a little boy that went to his neighbor's house that was grieving the loss of his wife.  The little boy sat with the man quietly.  When his mother asked him where he was he answered, "I was helping him cry."  

There is quiet before the storm.  There is quiet in the eye of a hurricane.  It is in solitude and quiet that connecting with God is possible.  Distractions, constant noise, busyness keep me from contemplating quietly God's promises of peace.  I need to practice quiet....before my prayers that I may listen to my heart and after prayers than I may listen for God's answers. 

 

 

Psalm 46:10 (KJV)
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

1 Thessalonians 4:11

11 And that ye study to be quiet , and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;  

James 1:19 
19Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 

Lamentations 3:25-26

25 The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.

1 Kings 19:11-12

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Job 2:13 
13 So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great. 

1 Timothy 2:1-2

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

Proverbs 17:1

1Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife.
  
Ecclesiastes 4:6
6Better is an handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and vexation of spirit.

 Isaiah 30:15
15For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not.

 

No comments: