Monday, March 10, 2014

My Past does not Define Me

http://positiveoutlooksblog.com/2014/02/06/bring-up-your-past/

Generally, people like to bring up your past, when your present and future appears to be better than theirs.


One of the challenges of PTSD is not allowing myself to be defined by my past and PTSD.  When I had cancer, over 12 years ago, I was shook up when some of the hospital personnel  treated me like a disease that happened to be attached to a person.  I struggled with the feeling that they only saw my disease and not the person that was scared and hurting.  PTSD tends to take over, like cancer.  Some times I struggle with the idea that my past does not define me when a trigger or a nightmare slaps me in the face. I sometimes feel like when my life is going really good and my future looks bright, my own mind brings up my past.  Slaps me down and reminds me that my past is still nipping at my heels like a junk yard dog.  I want to leave my past behind but there are reminders or old scars that ache and tug trying to keep me focused on my past.  If I choose to totally ignore it, the demands get much worse.  My approach right now is I acknowledge that my past has made me who I am today but does not determine where I go from here.  Gentleness and kindness to self is vital to my moving forward with my life.   

No comments: