Friday, March 21, 2014

Building a foundation

Been feeling a little down, so my wife gave this quote to me: "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him.” (Sidney Greenberg)


I am interested by the concept of foundations.  When I started counseling, I had no memories of my childhood.  I really didn't know where my foundation came from.  Months were spent with me reading books and me reporting back my reaction.  Each book was an ever increasing abuse cases.  Each book I asked KavinCoach what he wanted me to learn from it.  I wasn't shocked or surprised by what I read.  Even Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search For Meaning only drew a response of, "Yes, I know people hurt each other, what do you want me to learn from it?"   KavinCoach explained that my foundation was built on lies, opinions and half truths.  I needed to rip it out and rebuild a firm foundation.  Imagine making major renovations on your house while you still lived in it.  Or changing a car engine while it is still running. Or heart surgery without anesthesia. Yup, counseling is kind of like that.  The day I had counseling sessions I didn't plan anything else since I would feel so exhausted talking about myself and how I felt.  Counseling is tough work.  Tearing down the lies and building up truths takes so much energy.  I would get homework every week. I would also give myself homework.  I started working so hard at restructuring my thinking I wasn't living my life at the time.  This is when KavinCoach restricted me to only one hour of homework a day.  Counseling I needed to pace myself or I could loose myself in the process.  I am a great believer in using counseling to change how I live.  I also learned that I still need to live.  After 10 years of counseling, I have rebuilt my foundation.  I am happier more frequently than any other time in my life.  I am thankful for what I have learned.  Have a beautiful and blessed day.

Putting together my 10,000 piece puzzle in counseling
Reflecting on a beautiful day

No comments: