Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Self-Acceptance

http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/a-timely-post/

http://scott-williams.ca/2013/09/18/desperate-for-approval/

"As I have often said on this blog, the opposite of poor self-esteem is not good self-esteem. The opposite of poor self-esteem is self-acceptance. Learning to like and appreciate who you are is perhaps the meaning of life or at least the beginning of wisdom. There is nothing you can do about your shape, beyond cosmetic changes. Most of you are going to gradually lose the fight with gravity, the older you get. You may never be rich or famous or popular.
Are you ever going to be ok with that?"

My sister's post alerted me to this blog.  I read through it several times.  I kept going over and over the concept that the opposite of poor self-esteem is self-acceptance.   I was taught that self-acceptance was a bad thing since self-satisfied don't improve.  I don't believe self-acceptance precludes knowing that I have areas of improvement.  I think part of self-acceptance is accepting that I need to improve in some areas.  I also believe that nurturing myself in growth helps me more than beating myself up for every little imperfection.  KavinCoach proposed the idea that I cannot accept others until I accept myself.  Scripture backs up my thinking with the "as thyself" portion of the second great commandment.  Love of self and love of neighbor go hand-in-hand. 


Matthew Chapter 22:37-39

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.







No comments: