Sunday, March 23, 2014

Who needs to change.......

“If you’re waiting for others to change you may wait a very long time. Still, people make extraordinary efforts to modify the behaviour of others in an effort to make relationships work. But ultimately this is as futile as cleaning the mirror in order to clean your face. The mirror will just keep reflecting back the same image.”~from "The Buddha in the Mirror" 
Thanks to Facebook friend for sharing this


I was blessed with 6 beautiful, amazing kids.  I learned with child number one that they did not come as a clean slate.  They came preprogrammed with their own little personalities and that the most I was able to do was to modify them a little.  I made some very poor choices in trying to 'train' them into being adults.  When I better understood that parenting was more of a guide than a trainer, life went much better.  For myself, I couldn't wait for my parents to be different, or my boss, or a co-worker.  I discovered that I needed to train myself.  I needed to learn that people pleasing actually had a significant negative impact to long term relationships.  I needed to learn boundaries and how to create and protect my own.  I needed to to do the weekly homework assignments given to me by my counselor.  I needed to make the change. I also learned that the very essences of Christianity is Change.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
Mahatma Gandhi — 'Be the change that you wish to see in the world.'   

No comments: