Friday, March 14, 2014

Sharing an open letter

Know how it feels and there is hope
http://sethadamsmith.com/2013/12/18/an-open-letter/

Seth encourages sharing this Open Letter he wrote to anyone suffering from depression.  I felt a strong pull from my past today and I was reminded of how dark depression can be.  My picture of the mine shaft gives a haunting glimpse of the depths of darkness.  Even in the darkest hole a single candle can bring light.  I remember my discouragement.  I remember the conversation with my oncologist when we discussed if I should take a recommended medication after having cancer.  The medication helps a person not to have cancer again, however, it has a side effect of depression.  I told my doctor that I already suffered from depression.  I asked him what were the risk factors of taking medication that would be depression on depression.  He told me not to take the medication.  He told me that I had a better chance at surviving cancer than surviving increasing my depression.  This conversation brought me face to face with how lethal depression can be.  People sometimes scoff at someone with depression with comments like, "Its just depression, snap out of it."  One may snap out of a bad day or a frustrating moment.  Depression takes that bad day times a 1000.  A place so dark that a single candle may feel intimidated by its oppressive presence.  But as surly as the worst storm has an end, so can depression through help with counseling, medication, changing life choices, and other various means eventually lift this dark cloud.  Unlike the world turning from night to day, fighting depression is work.  Sometimes I rest from the fight but continue to fight another day.  


The Empire State Building could be dropped down this mine shaft.
The smallest candle brings light into the darkness
Golden Hope

No comments: