Wednesday, August 26, 2015

I can be flexible without being invisible

Every school year I choose a motto to keep myself motivated to improving my self on my job.  I've worked at the same school for 5 years and every year my life is different.  This year my motto will be:

I can be flexible without being invisible.

When I grew up as a kid, I became so bendy and flexible that I had no backbone and no consistent identity.  My goal is to cope with a constantly changing environment and stay constant with my integrity to myself.  This is new territory for me.  I could blend into any environment but I disappeared as an individual person.  Along with my choice to be flexible, I am adding that the other person's behavior does not control my response.  When needed, I will set boundaries for people that don't respect me.  This is a work in progress and I am making mistakes but that is ok.  I reevaluate progress, make adjustments and go again.  Right now I am working in 3 and possibly 4 different programs.  My day is so heavily scheduled that I am exhausted when I get home.  I am looking at what I do during the day to see where the energy leaks exist....high stress environments, unreasonable expectations by myself and others, and taking on responsibilities that are not mine.  I will remain flexible but hunt down and alter my thinking about my emotional drains.  Some I need to change my perspective.  Others I will simply accept. I remind myself that I am no longer in abusive situations.  I can choose healthy ways to adjust my schedule so that I don't feel balanced. 



Blessed are they flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.



“Be gifted with wise flexibility.”
Angelica Hopes, Landscapes of a Heart, Whispers of a Soul


 

No comments: