Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Can not solve all mysteries

Max Planck
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.


I love puzzles.  Computer repair was day in day out trying to solve problems and puzzle out what was going on.  The most difficult puzzle was myself.  I actually took a class in high school called, "Search for Identity."  The harder I worked the more confused I felt.  Then I took advice of a poem to focus on others:

I sought my soul, But my soul I could not see.
I sought my God, But my God eluded me.
I sought my brother, And I found all three. ~William Blake
http://blog.biographyonline.net/2007/05/quotes-of-william-blake.html

I tried I really honestly tried.  I didn't understand people at all.  I am really good at solving lots of puzzles and problems.  I couldn't figure out people or myself.

In the first 6 months of counseling I became extremely discouraged.  I felt like there was no way I could understand what I needed to do.  Not in counseling, not in my marriage, not in living....

KavinCoach assured me one session that I was like everybody else.  I come in and spread out my puzzle pieces and we put the pieces together.  I thought, "Awwww I am just like everyone else."  Until KavinCoach continued, "You just happen to be a 10,000 piece puzzle."  Wump ~ back to Earth in a hurry.  I have only seen one 10,000 piece puzzle years ago in a game store.  I kept that image in my mind.  For my book, I decided to take a picture of 10,000 puzzle pieces on my counselor's floor.  I asked permission.  Yup, he was intrigued with the concept.  I bought ten 1000 piece puzzles.  Dumped them all out on the floor.  The pieces covered almost half the distance between my counselor and me.  I shot the picture of what I always looked at..the floor.  I rarely looked him in the eye. 

There really is 10,000 pieces there on the floor.

Week after week, I talked, he listened, and gave me a few suggestions to try the next week.  I thought life was too cruel when in the middle of all this mess my boss was changed and I ended up with a really nasty boss.  KavinCoach thought it was great.  What?  Really?  This puzzle I was working on needed a testing case.  I couldn't handle people that were rude, unpleasant, power hungry, petty, all round nastiness.  KavinCoach pointed out that I didn't like him, therefore a perfect candidate for a guinea pig.  I would be taught a self assertive skill and then I would test it out on the nasty boss.  I would then report back with the disaster or mess I created.  Then KavinCoach would tweak the suggestion a little until I started coming back with more and more positive responses.  I learned a lot from testing out my new skills on my nasty boss.  William Blake was wrong...Once I started to understand myself, I am better able to understand people around me.  Since I am part of the mystery I am accepting I won't solve it all.  But I can enjoy living and sharing my life with people around me.  I don't have all the solutions, I just now know that I enjoy people, myself, and God. 

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Sounds very Buddhist Ruth. The person who is your enemy is your great teacher, they say.

My therapist sits with his legs crossed just like that - do they learn it in school? :-)

Ruth said...

I have noticed several similarities between counselors that I have encountered and read about. :) I also recognize some of the same questions.

I have a great deal of respect for Buddhist teachings. Your enemy being your teacher is a good way of putting it. I seem to learn more from conflict than I ever do when things are going smoothly.

Evan said...

This isn't me trying to be clever.

The counsellor says you are a 10,000 piece puzzle. You go out and buy 10 1,000 piece puzzles. Did he raise this?

I do think there is a counselling culture which means counsellors can feel samey, approach things in a similar way and ask the same questions. Also they exchange stories and adopt what works from each other.

Ruth said...

The picture was my idea, so was the book with photographs. I actually worked with one of my professors on creating the book at the bottom of the blog. 10 1,000 piece puzzles cost $20. 1 10,000 piece puzzle cost $97. Since I only wanted the pieces for the picture, I went cheap. It did have an impact on me for grasping why I am still in counseling after 8 years. I had a lot to get through and that takes time. The image helped me when I felt discourage with how hard counseling was for me. I noticed some similarities between my two counselors. There are also some significant differences. Or as Ellen pointed out that our counselors sit the same way. I have also noticed that the blue shirt and khaki pants are almost a uniform for some counselors.

Evan said...

That's an amazing difference in price.