Sunday, February 5, 2012

Learning in life

From mulderfan
http://muldrfan.blogspot.com/2012/02/great-quote.html

Great Quote

"Relationships serve to teach us about ourselves and until we sit up, pay attention and heed the lessons, that same relationship will still keep coming back like Michael Myers in Halloween. Take your lessons, cry your tears, rage, howl, feel sad, but take your truths and learn from your past experiences so that you can make a difference to your present and future and quit the insanity."~Baggage Reclaim

This brought to mind an email I received years ago.  I did a bit of searching with Mr. Google and found someone else had the same story posted on their website.  KavinCoach and NewCounselor told it to me again.  Apparently it is one of life's lessons that kept coming back. 

A Deep Hole

Chapter 1 of my life: I walked down the street - there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. It is not my fault. It took me forever to find my way out.
Chapter 2 of my life: I walked down the street - there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I still fall in. I am in the same place and it still takes a long time to get out.
Chapter 3 of my life: I walk down the street - there is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it there. I still fall in. It is a habit. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.
Chapter 4 of my life: I walk down the same street - there is a hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.
Chapter 5 of my life: I walk down another street.
Found it at http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Am-Recovering-From-An-Eating-Disorder/311832

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

I just came across the "street" poem in the book "A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps". The author, Stephanie Covington, attributes it to Portia Nelson with the title "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters."

In the book it is used in the chapter about the 10th step: Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Reminds me a bit of Einstein's definition of insanity! We keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Changing old patterns isn't easy but you are showing us all it can be done, Ruth.

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks P/M.

Evan said...

I really love that switch to walking down a different street. Just fantastic I think.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Love this! We are learning to walk down a different street.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan and Laurel.