Monday, September 15, 2014

Perseverance

The first step towards getting somewhere, is simply to decide that you are not going to stay where you are... then just move forward, one step, one day at a time...when you're overwhelmed, I know that's easier said than done, but do just one thing today to help yourself...do one thing you've put off doing...there is no big step or giant short cut that gets you where you need to be...it's lots of little steps and perseverance..


Perseverance: a continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition :  the action or condition or an instance of persevering :  steadfastness

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perseverance


Perseverance is hanging on when there is no logical reason to do so.  Me


Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.
 
 
By perseverance the snail reached the ark.

Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.
 
 
 “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
Maya Angelou
 
 
“If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.”
H.G. Wells
 
 
“If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill


Today, I am looking for ways to encourage myself.  I know that one of the keys of survival is perseverance.  I've used it in my mantra, "I can do anything for 5 minutes.  I can live a long, long time, 5 minutes at a time."  I am tired but I have trouble sleeping.  I am overwhelmed but unwilling to quit.  I was chastised by one of my counselors for having a do-or-die attitude.  I looked at him calmly, "If I didn't have that attitude, I would be dead now."  I understood that what he meant was not everything I think to do is a life and death matter.  I need to let go of some things without believing it will kill me to do so.  I understood his intent was to help me relax.  I know that I am alive because I was and continue to persevere against all odds. I was going through hell and I kept going.  I am up against another challenge.  I need to decide what is it worth to meet the new demands or should I consider looking for a different job.  I like the work I do.  I enjoy the students.  The new stresses is making day to day living more difficult.  What price am I willing to pay?  I already know the recipe, perseverance wins hands down every time.  I remember watching a scene in the movie Gandhi.  He was going to vote.  The guard knocked him down.  Gandhi got up.  The guard knocked him down over and over yet each time Gandhi stood up.  What battle do I have that is worth getting up every time I am knocked down?  I am worth fighting for but at which battle front.  I need to rethink my priorities.  
 
     

2 comments:

Kara said...

Thank you for sharing this Ruth. I really needed to hear it today. xx

Ruth said...

Your welcome Kara. It helped me, too. Hugs.