Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Do you find it difficult to talk to me about your mental health, and if so why?

This is a series of post answering questions posed by Kevin's daughter.  I asked permission to answer each of these questions as if I was answering my adult children.  I will also include a link to Kevin's answer. (I don't read his blog until after I write mine.)

http://voicesofglass.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/do-you-find-it-difficult-to-talk-to-me-about-your-mental-health-and-if-so-why-qtapwmi-day-11/


11.  Do you find it difficult to talk to me about your mental health, and if so why?

I chose to be open about my mental health when I started this blog four years ago.  I learned here to share about my life long battle with PTSD.  I find it difficult to talk about PTSD with anyone that is showing signs of disbelief or disapproval of my behavior.  I read body language very well.  I need encouragement from anyone to continue.  The reason is not all my children or everyone I meet feels comfortable talking about my mental illness.  My first counselor cautioned me to stay quiet about counseling.  I didn't understand why until a couple of friendships ended because of my talking about counseling.  They didn't want to hear about it and considered me a not safe person.  Unfortunately, mental illness is not acceptable to some people.  I learned to be sensitive to their needs.  I won't deny my truth but I don't always share it.  I don't believe it is a taboo subject, but I do believe that the other person has the right to decide how much they want to know.  I guess that is why I like blogging.  Those that are interested keep reading.  Those that are not, can go some place else on the internet.  PTSD does effect my relationships but doesn't define who I am. 

Sometimes when protecting myself I feel locked inside my armor. 




No comments: