Saturday, July 23, 2011

Master Builder

'I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.' ~Mother Teresa


In my life the Master Builder is Jesus Christ.  His Earthly father was a carpenter and he learned the skills of that trade.  I took woodworking in college.  I learned to appreciate the smell and feel of the wood in my hands.  If I tried to be to quick or get impatient, the wood chipped or refused to respond.  I learned the need for patiently sanding and shaping the wood.  I imagine Christ as a child learning patience working with wood.  He created with His hands.  He touched my heart. There are a number of things I learned from Him that might surprise you.  


I learned that when you are required to do work do extra but never said you had to follow them for life.  Working or giving service I should do more than expected but still have limits.   
"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." Matthew 5:41

I learned that serving others I still need to go about my work.  In the parable of the Good Samaritan, he took the injured traveler to an inn then continued on with his own journey.  Serving someone else is part of my day but I don't need to take them home with me. 
 27And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
 28And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt alive.
 29But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
 30And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
 31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
 32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
 33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
 34And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
 35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou pendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
 36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
 37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Luke 10:27-37  (KJV)


I learned that I may suffer for a long time and do all in my understanding to heal and fail.  Seeking Him my faith will make me whole but I am required to seek Him.  He is aware of me even when pressed upon by a crowd He knew when someone reached out to him for help.   I am important to Christ.   
24And Jesus went with him; and much people followed him, and thronged him.
 25And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
 26And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
 27When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
 28For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
 29And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
 30And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
 31And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
 32And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
 33But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
 34And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
Mark 5:25-34 (KJV)
 



One of the books I enjoyed reading is the book Untamed by Lisa Harper.
Her approach is different than many books I have encountered in my studies on Christ.  I appreciate her perspective and knowledge of the scriptures.  Like any book, it may not appeal to everyone.  I found many passages that fit with my own belief that Christ cares passionately for me and is interested in my becoming the best I can be. 
http://lisaharper.net/shop-2/books/untamed





No comments: