Sunday, July 10, 2011

Optimist Pessimist

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.
James Branch Cabell

One of my favorite debates about Optimist vs Pessimists happened in a university elevator.  Early that morning I walked into the elevator and there was a cup with water in it on the floor with a sign above with the question, "Is this cup half empty or half full?"  Later in the morning there were more cups on the floor.  One was empty, another was totally full, another was about 3 quarters full.  As the day progressed, more and more cups joined the first.  My conclusion.  Every person that looked at the glass had a different opinion.

The confusing life of a multiple is that each of my personalities varied on their level of optimism.  This was not a too big a deal for me since I didn't know about the switches for most of my life.  It was how people around me would be confused that one time I would be super up and believing all the world was wonderful and I could do anything.  Then I would be totally down, no hope, the whole thing is futile.  I was called moody.  Then I found out that I was switching.  For a few years, I became acquainted with all my different personalities.  Sure enough each one rated differently on the the optimist/pessimist continuum.  I think this was why I enjoyed the elevator argument so well.  Depending on which personality got on the elevator I could give you a different answer and they would all be honest answers.  Now I am integrated.  I still am more optimistic on some days than others.  I noticed that sure enough my level of optimism is tied to my mood.  When I am feeling happy, I feel more optimistic than when I feel sad.  Now, I better understand how I got away with switching.  Since no one knew I did it, until I entered counseling, they interpreted what they saw me doing by how they behave themselves.  This confusion sometimes leads to incorrect diagnosis of multiple personality disorder or dissociative identity disorder which can be labeled as bipolar, schizophrenic, severe depression, and several others.  Integration changed many things in my life but one thing remains the same.  If you hand me a glass of water, I will drink it and say, "Thanks, I appreciate the drink." 

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Loved the surprise ending!

One of my former kindergarten students, who was majoring in philosophy at university, helped me haul away some tree trimmings a few summers ago. (Yes, he just turned 30 and we're friends!)The last load didn't fill his pick-up truck so with a wink he asked, "Is the truck half full or half empty?"

I laughed and replied, "It's whatever you want it to be."

Thanks for making me smile and remember a great moment I shared with someone special.

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

Good answer, P/M. I like "It's whatever you want it to be." Nice addition to the post. :)

Laurel Hawkes said...

Love the post and the comments!