Sunday, September 22, 2013

Not about the nail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg


The purpose of this YouTube video is supposed to be a humorous look at the relationship between men and women.  The problem is obvious.  The man wants to solve it and the woman wants to talk about it.  I was bothered by the video....it seemed to shake me up but I couldn't put my finger on it, at first.  I thought about it over and over.  I realized the woman sounded a lot like me arguing with my counselor when I first started. KavinCoach kept telling me how unhealthy my childhood was and I kept telling him that if I just talked about it enough that I would understand and it would all go away.  I finally understood that in order to heal, I needed to remove the nail.  I had to stop believing that I could magically make things all better.  I had to stop lying to myself first before healing could move my life forward.

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

Lying seems a bit harsh. Denial sounds more like a coping mechanism that helps us survive.

But, I admit my perspective on that word is skewed, because my NFOO has ALWAYS characterized me as a liar which kept me confused and fearful...which in turn kept me right where they wanted me!

Ruth said...

I think I used a harsh word with myself to wake myself up to what I was doing. Denial is a tool that kept me a victim. I had to look long and hard at the 'facts' in my life and recognize that truth was warped or nonexistent.

Hard thing for me as a child was told I was lying by my parents when I was telling the truth. The expectation was for me to tell them what they expected to hear...truth was not encouraged.