Sunday, November 9, 2014

Do things for myself.

http://www.purposefairy.com/5274/11-things-you-should-start-doing-for-yourself-today/

Purpose Fairy shares many articles on learning to care for yourself.  This is one that interested me.  I am placing it here in November to remind myself to take care of myself.


11 Things You Should Start Doing for Yourself Today


1. Start breathing properly, softly and deeply

I mention this one often.  Breathing properly is powerful.  Mindful breathing, focusing on air coming in and out of my body, can help me stop a panic attack.  Helps me to lessen anxiety.  Breathing is a quick beginning step to controlling myself.  



2. Let go of your personal history – enjoy the present moment

 Allowing past personal history to interfere with present enjoyment lets my past control my present.  Mindfulness, living in the moment, being present are all variations on a theme, "My past does not define me."  I recognize that past history influences my present actions but I decide how much.  Very powerful when I learn to use this concept on a daily basis.  (Powerful ideas are rarely easy so don't be surprised if it doesn't work first, second or third time.)


3. Let go of all those things that no longer serve you

 This was difficult for me to understand when I first taught this idea.  Deprived in childhood usually means hoarder tendencies as an adult.  Letting go seems like a piece of myself goes too.  Some chapters in the book of life need to end.  I was laid off several years ago.  I kept looking over my shoulder at the job I lost instead of focusing on the new future I had in front of me.  I had to let go of my past job to move forward in my new one.  

 

4. Forgive yourself for past mistakes

I am my harshest critic.  I make a similar mistake and I drag up all the old history from past mistakes as evidence of my continue failings.  I beat myself up emotionally more than anyone else would bother doing.  I know all my weak points and hammer away at my emotional well being.  Forgiving myself is allowing myself to be human and humans make mistakes...we are supposed to.  I don't believe in giving myself a 'get out of jail free' card.  I mean the kind of forgiveness where I repented and changed my ways, forgiveness comes after the change.  I thrive when I give myself room to change and become a better person.  Chain myself to past mistakes slows down my progress in many ways.  


To be continued........










 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We know much more now than we did then, so we can forgive ourselves for 'then'.

Ruth said...

Thanks colleen Kellie, I like your perspective.